20 January 2010

Challenged

The earthquake, well now really multiple earthquakes, have shaken me. St. Mary's, along with other churches, nonprofits, and individuals, support St. Vincent's School for handicapped children. As many of you may know, I hold a special place in my heart for the handicapped, due to my interaction with so many of these special people as I grew up.

My sister has had multiple disabilities throughout her life, and very serious, life-threatening medical issues. The issues themselves are so difficult to deal with--from the cost of medications, to the number of doctor's appointments, and the difficulty of everyday life. It is easy for us to forget though, the hardship of families trying to make a meaningful life for a family member who outsiders do not understand, and honestly, sometimes they may not understand either.

The handicapped children in Haiti were described in an article as "shunned", and unfortunately, I really understand this situation, even though I am an American. Everyday life is harder, makes less sense, needs more interventions; for these people. It is easier for people to ignore them, to shut them out, than to confront that this is one version of the very human condition. We could have those problems, just as easily. People seek to find a reason for why these conditions occurred, so that somehow, they can assuage their own fears that it will happen to someone in their family.

No comments: